My Nairobi Diaries from the WTO conference

So I landed in Africa last evening...sorry, Kenya! (they told us not to say Africa).                                                                                                                               
The view of what looks like the famous Masai Mara as the plane landed was beyond spectacular! Hmm...what are the odds of bumping into a stray lion? 

But I was quite worried as it seemed too close to the airport. 

All my anxiety faded away when I found a huge delegation of delegates waiting to be picked up at the ultramodern arrivals terminal. So I wasn't alone! I met a few colleagues who had drove tough negotiations at the Doha WTO conference & we exchanged some pleasantries. What they didn't know is that this time I'd come better prepared. Let's meet at the round table I mumbled to myself as I boarded the designated shuttle. Trade has never been a one way street, there's always a give & take, and it sure feels great to take more than you give but then people start fussing over this so we give openly but take through fine worded legal pacts that look harmless at first sight 😉


Just as I finish this trail of thought, we arrive at this stunning hotel in the heart of Nairobi City. 
I love the proximity to KICC, the venue for this years annual ministerial conference, & despite my position in government am yet to become a full minister.

Hence here I am tweeting #mc10Nairobi & scrolling through my timeline as I await for a grueling day of back to back meetings tomorrow. Something catches my eye...these Kenyans seem to love Twitter & after every other WTO tweet, a Nairobi something...uhh yes #NairobiDiaries tweet pops up. 

Hmm... what could these Nairobi diaries be? An NGO? 
And from the look of things they seem to be well connected with some even having sponsors at the WTO?!

Wow!

I might have to talk to our delegation about this Nairobi Diaries organization. If we get to fund them, based on the publicity they already have, news of my fast thinking might reach home, to the big man, Mr. President, and I might even come back next year... as a minister! 



Comments

Popular Posts